Concluding GSoC 2018: SymPy
This post summarises the work that I have done during GSoC for SymPy. The links to the Pull Requests are in chronological order under each header. For following the progress made during GSoC, see my weekly posts.
This summer has been a great learning experience and has helped me get a good exposure of test-driven development. I plan to actively review the work that has went into this project and continue contributing to SymPy. I am grateful to my mentors, Kalevi and Aaron for reviewing my work, giving me valuable suggestions, and being readily available for discussions.
This is the list of merged Pull Requests.
- sympy/sympy#14725: Add discrete module, and transforms sub-module including Fast Fourier Transform, Number Theoretic Transform, and include docstring, doctests, unit-tests.
- sympy/sympy#14745: Add convolution sub-module including
convolution_nttand a general method
convolutionfor identifying the type of convolution and handling the cyclic convolution case, and include docstring, doctests, unit-tests.
- sympy/sympy#14765: Implement Walsh Hadamard Transform and include doctests, unit-tests, docstring for the same.
- sympy/sympy#14783: Implement
convolution_fwhtand add support for keyword
dyadicin the general
convolutionmethod, and include docstring, doctests, unit-tests.
- sympy/sympy#14816: Add a method
linrecwhich allows evaluation of linear recurrences without obtaining closed form expressions, and include tests for the same.
- sympy/sympy#14853: Implement Möbius Transform using Yate’s Dynamic Programming method while having
subsetkeyword for flexibility of the implementation, and include docstring, doctests, unit-tests.
- sympy/sympy#14878: Implement subset convolution and include docstring, doctests, unit-tests.
- sympy/sympy#14928: Add covering product in convolutions sub-module and include docstring, doctests, unit-tests.
- sympy/sympy#14954: Add intersecting product in convolutions sub-module and include docstring, doctests, unit-tests.
Documentation and Code Refinements
- sympy/sympy#14969: Improve Sphinx docs for SymPy, use plural module names -
recurrences, refine the documentation for
- sympy/sympy#14994: Add reStructuredText file for
discretemodule for inclusion in Sphinx docs, which can be referred here.
- sympy/sympy#15025: Refine
discretemodule to fix tests using floats instead of Rationals, adding warning about sequence size for
fftand other improvements.
- sympy/sympy#14712: Add
.rewrite(exp)capability for instances of
Powand fix bugs in
- sympy/sympy#14907: Fix exception handling for factorial modulo and refine the signature for general
- sympy/sympy-bot#18: Fix the issue of incorrect links being referred in wiki by explicitly specifying the links instead of using relative paths.
- Adding a user-facing public method that internally calls
discrete.recurrences.linrecand possibly extending it for different types of recurrences as well.
- Making methods
convolution_fftefficient for both symbolic and numeric variants, as some discussion and benchmarking has been done for it and there is some work done by Colin for implementing a
ComplexFloatclass in sympy/sympy#12192 which would be very helpful for the same.